Principal Backend Engineer
Fincent is a new age finance firm whose mission is to bring financial and accounting services into the modern era. We like to think of ourselves as all of the good parts of a startup, without the downsides. We're a tight-knit team of smart, friendly people solving problems together with a shared passion for design, technology and creativity.
Fincent stands at the intersection of neo-banking and SaaS and aims to be a complete financial hub for SMBs. We offer an AI-powered finance team with a real-time dashboard to manage all the finance functions for your business on one platform - bookkeeping, yearly taxes, bill payments & invoicing, financial projections & budgeting, reimbursements and more.
Fincent is growing fast, which means that our core teams must constantly be evolving to sustain and further this growth.
About the role
As a Principal Backend Engineer at Fincent, you will help set the technical direction for our backend team by working closely with other product stakeholders and design partners to help identify, design, develop, and deliver products that delight our customers. Additionally, you will provide technical and thought leadership to the team in order to continually improve our technologies, tools, and processes. This role is equal parts research and development. If you enjoy the challenges of building scalable, robust, and high performing distributed systems which process complex data sets in real time, this position may be right for you. In this role, you will join a team of skilled engineers committed to shipping the highest quality software and ensuring our customers' satisfaction.
What you'll be working on
- Provide technical direction for products, projects, and features with emphasis on back end systems and APIs responsible for ingesting, processing, and routing data
- Host architecture discussions and design reviews with others on your team
- Partner with a cross function team of engineers, designers, and product managers to translate feature specifications into product designs and implementable code
- Hands on contribution to the system by designing and developing features for the data platform
- Design, develop, test, and maintain clear, concise, and robust code that produces the desired outcomes for our customers
- Ensure product features are working as expected by creating robust test plans paired with comprehensive automated tests
- Coach and mentor junior developers
- Evangelize our innovation and engage our users by contributing to internal and external blogs related to the products that you help develop
What makes you a great fit
- Ability to problem solve from first principles and maintain focus on overarching objectives
- Demonstrated experience working with design partners and early customers to accelerate product innovation
- Experience building data intensive applications and/or data streams processing systems
- Experience building query and/or analytic systems working with structured and unstructured data
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, operating systems, and distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of cloud architecture principles
- Self-motivated, proactive, and pragmatic
- Ability to lead projects across the team with little to no additional supervision
- Experience in advanced development, especially in distributed systems and large, complex system environments deployed at scale
- Working knowledge of the Linux stack on AWS
- Experience with Agile processes and rapid iterative development
- Strong sense of ownership with focus on high quality and high performing deliverables
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; able to explain complex technical topics to both internal and external stakeholders with ease and in remote/distributed environments
What's in it for you?
If you’re someone who thrives in a dynamic and collaborative workplace, Fincent provides an environment where you will be challenged and inspired daily.
This is not the first company for this founding team, and we know how to build sustainable teams by investing in great people, benefits, professional development and work/life balance. As an early member of the team you’ll be an influencer and a key contributor to driving the success & growth of a company that's changing what's possible in the industry.
If you want to work in a cutting-edge environment that will challenge you to relentlessly build a world leading financial OS for SMBs, where each day is different from the next and your learning never ends – then join us for a cup of coffee and an exploratory discussion.
Share your story and resume with us on firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why!